Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Sugared Cranberries



I was browsing my usual blogs this morning over coffee and thinking about what to do with all the food in my fridge before I leave for Long Island Friday. Just as I remembered the cranberries hiding in there I came across this recipe on Heidi's 101cookbooks. Right then I knew that's exactly what I was going to make and into the kitchen I went.

Sugared Cranberries
Adapted from 101cookbooks. Makes 2 cups.

2 cups cranberries, picked over
2 cups water
2 cups pure cane or turbinado sugar
Pure cane or turbinado sugar for first coating
White sugar for second coating

Place the cranberries in a medium glass bowl and set aside.
Make a simple syrup by bringing the water and sugar just to a simmer in a medium saucepan.

Let the syrup cool for a couple minutes and then pour it over the cranberries. If the syrup is too hot the cranberries will burst, so be careful. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

The next day, drain the cranberries and toss them with larger grained sugar until they are well coated. Use only a scoop of sugar at a time, and small batches of cranberries, so the sugar doesn't get too damp. Place the coated cranberries on a baking sheet to dry for a few hours.
Do a second toss with the regular granulated sugar, this typically takes care of any sticky spots on the cranberries. Let dry another hour.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Live Activity Feed