Monday, December 28, 2009

Egg "Fritatta" Pitas




I had lunch with my mom today followed by a few hours of baking sandwich cookies. More to come on those later but first our delicious egg pitas. Every day she's been telling me about how she pours beaten eggs into a small pot and it rises like souffle so finally today I watched her make egg "fritattas" and we had them in pitas with lots of greens. She used 1 egg and 1 egg white per person and made them individually in a small pot with just a bit of oil. They were delicious but, I don't eat whole eggs too often because of the cholesterol so next time I think I will try making it with just egg whites or maybe 2 egg whites and just half a yolk. But then what do I do with half an egg yolk? I hate wasting food. Anyway, this is super simple I'm not sure I can even call it a recipe.

Mom's Egg "Fritatta" Pitas
Serves 2.

2 Eggs
2 Egg whites
olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

2 Whole wheat pitas
Arugula, baby spinach or mixed greens

Dijon mustard (optional)
Balsamic vinegar (optional)

Heat a small pot with a thin layer of olive oil on medium heat
Beat 1 egg and 1 egg white in a small bowl with salt and pepper until combined
Pour beaten eggs into the pot and cover immediately. As the eggs cook they will rise sort of like a souffle. (It helps if you have a cover made of glass so you can see it rise..if not, no worries just check it in a few minutes.) The eggs will rise to about double their original height and should be set.
Remove the cover and pull the egg up with a spatula. Slide it into the pita pocket and stuff with greens.
I also blended a little balsamic vinegar with dijon mustard, spread it on the inside and had a Compari tomato on the side.

Repeat with the other eggs and pita. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Live Activity Feed