Friday, December 11, 2009

Cleaning Out The Fridge Day 1

The end of the semester seems to have snuck up on me and classes ended today which means I'm officially on my last Christmas break (ever?). It also means it's time to finish all those forgotten ingredients in the back of my fridge/freezer/pantry. (eeek who knows what lurking back there?). Well, today I dove in and found various different kinds of bread as well as numerous jars of griessnockerl, spaetzle, tomato sauce and even some frozen egg yolks from some sort of baking endeavor,(no idea what I'm going to do with those). The pantry is full of random leftover pasta, grains, and a large enough dried fruit stash to hike the Appalachian trail. The refrigerator was quite a journey as well. Way in the back was a small container of peanut M+Ms from august (!?) and various cheeses from god knows when. There was definitely a small piece of apple pie back there too but I'm afraid to go near that. Instead I found a tomato on its last leg and decided to chop it up in a salad with the rest of the my vegetables and some previously cooked white beans I found hiding way in the back.

Maybe tomorrow I'll tackle the cheese...



Everything-in-the-fridge Salad
Serves 1

1 Medium Tomato, chopped
1/2 very small red onion, chopped in medium size chunks
1/2-3/4 cup cooked cannellini beans (small white beans, navy beans, butter beans, or chickpeas would be good as well)
3/4 cup steamed or blanched brussel sprouts, quartered
couple ribs of romaine lettuce, chopped

all natural dijon mustard to taste
1 tsp olive oil
balsamic vinegar to taste (I used my favorite fig balsamic)
salt and pepper

Whisk mustard, olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper in a bowl until combined.
Add the remaining ingredients and toss to coat.
Enjoy with whatever bread you have to soak of the dressing (I had some sourdough)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Live Activity Feed