Monday, November 16, 2009

Viktorija Bakes Volume One - Apple Pie





Way back in September my housemates and I went apple picking and we got a little carried away. It's so easy to just keep picking them and before you know it you have an excess of 15lbs of apples. On the car ride home Viktorija said she wanted apple pie and I agreed to help her make one. Usually I just buy Whole Foods' frozen whole wheat crust but this time I thought it would be nice to try making our own. I found a traditional recipe from Williams-Sonoma and we set out peeling apples.

It calls for Granny Smiths, we used a mix of Gala, Macoun, and Jonamac since thats what we had from our local orchards. To adjust for the the sweetness of the apples I cut down the sugar just bit. The crust is just a simple Pate Brisee but I switched half of the white flour for whole wheat pastry flour with no trouble. I'm not sure if I would do full whole wheat but maybe switch the other half for white whole wheat flour. Anyway, it was a really easy recipe and the crust came out great. It was buttery, flaky, light and you couldn't even tell that it was half whole wheat. Click here for the recipe. Of course you can trade the apples for whatever fruit filling you like, just adjust the sugar depending on the sweetness of the fruit.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Live Activity Feed