Saturday, November 7, 2009

Grießnockerl



These are versatile little semolina dumplings that I usually put in my mom's chicken soup to make grießnockerlsuppe but I also like them in place of rice or pasta to soak up sauce.

30g soft salted butter
1 egg at room temperature
dash of salt
1 package nockerlgrieß* (this is just 250g of course semolina and either one can be used depending what's available in your area.)

  1. stir the egg into the butter.
  2. mix in salt and the entire package of nockerlgrieß
  3. refriderate mixture for an hour or so to let it expand a bit
  4. bring a large pot of water to a light boil (too aggressive and they will just fall apart)
  5. Simmer gently for 20 mintues
  6. turn the heat off and let sit for 10 minutes (this is crucial to expansion and fluffiness)
  7. Make sure they have expanded exponentially and even taste one. The first time I made these I was afraid to let the water boil too much and ended up not letting it get hot enough. They didn't fluff up very much and were heavy like little lead balls. If they don't have a light consistency like a matzo ball then cook them a little longer.
  8. Eat immediately or freeze to use later.

2 comments:

  1. How do we submit recipes… I have some goodies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joe,

    These are all just recipes that Max and I have made but if you have something to share you can email it to me at thesimplespatula@gmail.com

    Cheers,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Live Activity Feed