Thursday, September 16, 2010

Brussel Sprouts with Romano Cheese and Lentils

This is the only thing I've cooked in at least a week and I'm not sure it really counts as cooking. Just a little steaming, boiling and grating and lunch (or dinner) is ready. You see, I have a new job. Have I told you about my new job? WHAT!? I haven't? Oh my. 
I'm also moving. I haven't told you about that yet either? Oh wow. We have some catching up to do.
[New boots for a new job and a new Autumn]

Sunday was my first day working for the New Amsterdam Market in South Street Seaport (downtown Manhattan). I'm an intern so I set up the market in the morning (bright and early which explains the 6am sunrise pictures) and hang out for a few hours during the market helping out vendors and milling around. If you are in the area you should definitely come down and check it out. Right now it's market season until december 19th which means we are there every Sunday (except November 28th), rain, snow, sun whatever. We're there. I'm doing some other work for them during the week as well but the job is not what's taking up all my time - at least not yet. It's the moving. Mostly because I don't know where I'm moving to. However the search may be coming to a close this week (so let's all cross our fingers that it goes smoothly). In which case I'll have some actual packing and moving to do and hope to be settled as soon as possible. After all, fall is my favorite season (in case you haven't figured that out) and I want to make apple sauce, brisket, apple crisp, butternut squash soup, chicken soup, braised mushrooms, apple pie, pumpkin pie and lots of things with prune plums - in no specific order (although prune plum season is coming to an end). 
[Jack's Coffee Shop, South Street Seaport]
Right now I've been dragging home all these wonderful fruits, vegetables, breads, meats and of course apple cider from the Market and eating them as close to their natural form as possible. Like these brussel sprouts for instance; steamed and tossed with olive oil, salt, pepper and Romano. The little baby ones are my favorite. 
Brussel Sprouts with Romano Cheese and Lentils
Serves 1

1/4 cup green lentils (dry measure) - I like sprouted but regular work fine
175g brussel sprouts (about 1 1/2 cups), with the base trimmed off
1 tsp olive oil
Juice from half of a lemon
Salt and pepper
Freshly grated romano cheese

Cook the lentils according to the directions. Toss with lemon juice, salt and pepper. Set aside.
Steam the trimmed brussel sprouts until cooked through but still firm. Length of time will vary depending on size, mine took about 7 minutes.
Toss with oil, salt and pepper. Pour on top of lentils.
Sprinkle with freshly grated Romano and serve with a cold glass of apple cider.

3 comments:

Live Activity Feed