Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Getting used to the idea.

Everywhere I turn someone likes to point out that I only have 11 days of classes and 3 weeks until I graduate. Whoa.  

Put another way that's 38 hours at my internship, 11 days of class, 3 weeks, 3 short assignments, 1 take home final, 1 online final, 3 regattas, 1 banquet, 2 excessively long ceremonies, 1 BBQ, and 1 camping trip until I'm done with this city. Whoa. 

I guess I'm ready for it. When all is said and done I actually do like Binghamton, but I'm kind of done here.  A new city would be nice, one on the west coast maybe, or Boston or of course good old New York City. Preferably Manhattan but I'll settle for Brooklyn. I don't actually have a job so I guess I'm headed back to Long Island, back to my Dad's house. Sigh. At least it's free...and I don't have to clean it.
Actually, I've been getting used to the idea - just for the summer. It won't be so bad, there is a backyard where I can plant tomatoes, herbs, lettuces, spinach, cucumbers and whatever else I can fit into the dirt; and I'll have time, lot's of time. Time to row, time to run, time to apply for jobs that I actually want, and of course time to write.

Oh writing, I haven't felt like doing very much of it lately. I've been cooking, sometimes even taking pictures of what I make but it hasn't been the same. I haven't been motivated to create an attractive plate or set up a shot. I haven't been in the mood to carry my camera with me; In fact I haven't really felt like taking pictures of anything at all. Mostly, I've just been tired

Cooking and baking is like stress relief for me, but sometimes blogging takes away that release. When I know I have term papers and presentations to write, when I'm on the computer all day, that's when I want to focus on the soothing noises of a skillet sizzling, the whir of my KitchenAid or the feeling of warm water rushing over my hands. That's when I don't want to be distracted by having to stop for photographs or write about a recipe when I'm done. I probably don't want to spend any extra time on the computer, I don't want to sort through pictures and I most definitely don't want to organize my thoughts. Instead I want to go outside, I want to ride my bike, I want to do yoga and I want to read in the grass. I want to let other people do the talking, the writing. I want to just listen, read - take in someone else's thoughts.

With that finally out in the open, there are things I have made that I haven't told you about; like this delicious un-photographed cheesecake that I made at 1am Saturday morning, as a last minute dessert for Saturday night. There were also various salads and a new favourite yogurt mixed with poppy seeds and blueberries (on multiple occasions). There were more nights out than I really wanted, and more five minute meals than I generally like, but then there was also a BBQ at my house. A BBQ for which I made turkey burgers.

Turkey Burgers with Feta and Parsley
I came up with this recipe a few summers ago and I've been making them frequently ever since.
Makes 4 Burgers.

For Burgers:
1lb 99% lean ground turkey
1/2 of a small white onion, chopped fine
2 oz Feta
1 handful fresh parsely, chopped
garlic powder, salt, and pepper to taste

For Serving:
whole wheat hamburger buns (I like Martin's Whole Wheat Potato Buns or make you're own Brioche Buns)
1/2 of a small white onion sliced in rings
arugula
mustard
sour pickles

In a large bowl, mix all of the burger ingredients  until combined. Shape into 4 burgers and grill until cooked through. Serve on a bun with arugula, onion and mustard or over a salad. 

Burgers can be frozen raw to be grilled at a later date, no need to defrost first just leave on the grill a few minutes extra. Cooked burgers are also good cold the next day over salad.

4 comments:

  1. So John and I had a bunch of ground turkey in the freezer and we used your recipie! I enjoy that out of all the fabulous things on this blog we pick the easiest thing here. It was quite good though. We substituted goat cheese for the feta because John refused to eat feta and would not listen when I told him that it wouldn't really taste like feta. The upside was that we spread the remaining goat cheese on the bun, which is always delicious. I added a sliced tomato to my burger as well. Unfortunately we had to cook the burgers inside on a foreman press grill, but that's NYC for you. If you move here try to score a balcony. Noone has one we could really use it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. mm goat cheese sounds delicious, I'm glad you liked it!

    Also I'm pretty sure I would give my left leg for a balcony or, even better, a roof but we'll see what happens

    ReplyDelete
  3. who said its free and you wont have to clean!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this is going to be a must-try at my house!! YUM!

    ReplyDelete

Live Activity Feed