Saturday, February 27, 2010

All Natural Nutella

There really isn't too much to say about this except that you should be making it right now. Seriously, go get your food processor. I'll wait.


Ready? Good. This is so easy and since the first ingredient is hazelnuts it's actually pretty healthy. I can't say the same about store-bought Nutella in which the first ingredient is sugar. True, my homemade version is definitely not as smooth as the store-bought but I only have a very tiny food processor (mini-chop). If you use a full size 11 cup or larger and let it run for quite a while you'll get a smoother consistency than I did. In reality, that has more to do with my impatience than the size of my food processor - I have to hold the 'grind' button down the entire time instead of turning it on and walking away. After 5 minutes I lost my drive to hold that little button. At any rate, I'll stop rambling because you should be eating this instead of reading about it.


If you're motivated you could make a fresh baguette to go along with it. It's like a little piece of Paris in every bite. Now if only I could remember anything from all those years (11!) of studying french. Oh, quel dommage.  


All Natural Nutella
I used olive oil to avoid buying anything but, on the off chance you own some hazelnut oil, it would be fantastic. Makes about 1 1/2 cups.

1 cup hazelnuts
Pinch of salt
5-6 tablespoons honey
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (preferably organic and fair trade)
1 Tablespoon vanilla
2-3 tsp olive oil 


In a food processor, grind the hazelnuts to a smooth butter, scraping the sides as needed
Add the cocoa, honey, vanilla, oil and salt. Process until well blended
Spread on a slice of bread (or everything).

9 comments:

  1. I love chocolate spread! I've given up on Nutella bc the first ingredient is sugar..I've switched to an Israeli brand (mainly bc I cant read the label very well so I like to pretend its healthy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delicious but I am afraid to get on the Nutella bandwagon. Probably addictive. Emma loves it.

    Your blog gets better everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting this recipe. been craving Nutella for ages. But ever since I became vegan, I had to stop eating Nutella since it has dairy in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah-that's exactly why i don't buy nutella anymore theres seriously no reason for so much sugar! (okay, i also don't buy it because i don't trust myself haha)

    anonymous- i assume this is adele and yes it is HIGHLY addictive.

    vegan tickles- you are so welcome, i hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa, this is awesome! One day when I get a food processor I'm so making this!
    -Amanda (Sandy's room mate)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't have store bought nutella because i have food allergies. now i can have nutella again! thank you so much for posting this :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can hazelnut syrup in the coffee aisle be subbed for actual hazelnuts? Anyone know the proportions?

    Jeremiah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jeremiah,

    I would not suggest trading the hazelnuts for a syrup because the vody of the spread is made of hazelnuts. Without then you would basically just have melted chocolate. Hope this helps!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Live Activity Feed